Yesterday, Mark Zuckerberg, CEO of Facebook, announced some major changes which will shake up the platform. In a nutshell, Facebook is going to give a higher priority to posts from your friends, family and groups over pages, which includes your small business page. From there, priority will be given to posts that have positive engagement, such as comments and conversations, and video, especially live video.
Some commentators have gone on to call this the Armageddon for Facebook publishers, but, before you go and throw the baby out with the bathwater, here’s why I think this is a great opportunity for you:
- If you’re already working with me; you have a Social Media Manager in your corner. This means I’m a professional who keeps up with the latest trends and expectations for your chosen platforms, and I’m here to help you implement them. I’ll be in touch with all my clients to review their digital marketing plans ASAP. If you’re not a client, I still have space in my calendar (just!)
- Posting engaging, entertaining and educational content, that people want to see is likely to be rewarded. This is a great opportunity to ask and encourage your community to support your business.
- Social Media users in Australia are some of the most prolific in the world, with a total of around 60% of the country’s population an active user on Facebook, and 50% of the country logging in at least once a day.* These active users are going to get a ‘better’ experience and while they’re there, you’re still going to be there too. It’s not just a news feed, it’s a business directory and a shop front so your page still needs to be awesome!
- If Facebook users are getting a better experience on the platform, they’re going to be in a better mindset when they see your ad on Facebook too. Yes, Facebook is becoming a ‘play-to-pay’ platform, but it’s a business that also needs to create revenue. so if you’re not investing in Facebook ads already, creating a modest budget to showcase your business is going to be important to increasing your reach.
- If Facebook is the only social media platform your business is on, now is a great opportunity to expand your presence on other platforms. Each platform has its own unique ways to grow your business. This means new followers, new reach and new business!
Change is scary, but it’s also exciting! You’re probably not going to start door-knocking to get in front of your potential customers, no one reads the paper anymore, and your website is still just part of the digital landscape. Let’s make 2018 the year of strategic social media, that STILL works for your business.